NC Parent’s First Call Program (for New & Expectant Parents)
Dear New and Expectant Parents,
Congratulations! North Carolina Down Syndrome Alliance (NCDSA) believes every baby deserves a joyful welcome. Whether the diagnosis is prenatal (before birth) or postnatal (after birth), the news is often overwhelming. More than likely you are feeling shocked, blindsided, confused or isolated. You are not alone in your feelings or on the journey ahead of you. Everyone at NCDSA is here to support you as new or expectant parents with accurate, up-to-date information. NCDSA has a variety of resources and connections available that can help you make important decisions for your family.
The NC Parents First Call program offers:
- Prenatal Information Packet or Welcome Baby Bag containing gifts and resource
- Award winning New Parent Handbook
- Accurate and updated information about Down syndrome
- Parent Mentor Program to connect parents with similar journeys
- Hospital and in-home visits upon request
- Access to NCDSA’s full range of resources, programs, and community events including our New Parent Socials, New and Expectant Parent Meetings, Playgroups
- Local, private, on-line communities
- Connecting families with the nearest Down syndrome support agency in North Carolina
Our services and resources are free and confidential. Our Parent Mentor Program provides experienced parents of children with Down syndrome available to parents with a prenatal or newly diagnosed child with Down syndrome. Mentoring parents will answer questions honestly and will do their best to describe the joys and challenges they have experienced in their own personal journeys. NCDSA strives to match new parents with parent mentors that have similar experiences.
We can visit with and your family at hospitals or at home. We want to serve as a shoulder to lean on, a voice of experience, and a source of current information. We provide all new parents up-to-date information about Down syndrome along with information about resources available to your family.
To help with your first steps on your journey, we offer three free, digital e-books and online resources that are immediately available to you, including:
- National booklet “Understanding a Down Syndrome Diagnosis” has the latest medical and developmental information about people with Down syndrome as well as local and national resources, pregnancy options and helpful visuals and graphics. A copy of this booklet is included in our Welcome Baby Bag. View a Digital Copy Here.
- Visit our national affiliate’s website, the National Down Syndrome Congress (NDSC), for a wealth of information for expectant parents.
- The National Down Syndrome Society’s A Promising Future Together guide is written specifically for new and expectant parents.
- TDSN New Parent Handbook is a valuable resource for new parents in the Triangle and throughout North Carolina that has been put together by local families within our group. It contains family stories as well as a current medical reference guide. (LINK TO HANDBOOK)
For immediate information and support with us, please call 984-200-1193 or email email@example.com. You can also arrange for a Welcome Baby Bag and New Parent Visit by completing the following form: