NC Down Syndrome Advocacy Day
The North Carolina Down Syndrome Alliance (NCDSA) hosts the greater North Carolina Down Syndrome community when we come together annually for Down Syndrome Advocacy Day at the North Carolina General Assembly in Raleigh, the Capital City.
Down Syndrome Advocacy Day is scheduled based on when the North Carolina General Assembly is in session. The date varies from year to year. Plan to join us for the next Down Syndrome Advocacy Day.
Down Syndrome Advocacy Day is your opportunity to improve the lives of people with Down syndrome and their families. You will:
- Learn about the legislative process and how you can be involved
- Practice your skills to communicate with legislators
- Share your lived experience with legislators who create policies that directly impact people with Down syndrome
Down Syndrome Advocacy Day includes:
Advocacy Day Training Session
- Legislative process
- Routine legislative day
- Navigating the legislative complex
- Why build relationships with legislators
- Importance of sharing your personal story
- Reviewing your personal story
Meeting with your legislators
- Share your personal story
- Distribute general information about Down syndrome
North Carolina Down Syndrome Advocacy Day Partners:
North Carolina Down Syndrome Advocacy Day began on March 21st, 2017, World Down Syndrome Day, when 60 advocates from 10 North Carolina counties participated in the first North Carolina Down Syndrome Advocacy Day. Advocates met with legislators and toured the legislative building. Sharing your personal lived experience is invaluable when discussing issues with policymakers.